Monday, August 29, 2011

The Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby

The Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby, or more popularly know simply as "The Derby," is one of the oldest and most prestigious fishing tournaments on the east coast. In less than two weeks, the 66th annual Derby will begin, drawing anglers from across the world to the waters of Martha's Vineyard. Though the Derby was started as a way to generate off season revenue by an advertising executive and the ferry company, it is now run by a non-profit committee, with all the proceeds going to scholarships for local kids. All prizes are donated, including the grand prizes, an Eastern boat and Chevy truck. I won't give too much of a background, because authors David Kinney and Robert Post have given excellent descriptions and stories in their works "The Big One," and "Reading the Water." I recommend giving each a read.

The Derby is more than just the hunt for a trophy fish that will lead to some really cool prizes. It is a combination of passion, comraderie, skill, luck, and most importantly, fun. Though I've been a fan of the Derby all my life, this fall will mark only the third Derby that I've registered for. For some reason my parents didn't let me miss school to travel with my old man to fish the Derby every year like he did (I think this will be his 35th consecutive year). Now that I've been out of college for three years, I am taken over by Derby fever each fall.

Though it began as a primarily shore fishing tournament, the Derby has transformed to suit a variety of anglers. Whether you are the hardcore wetsuit-clad surfcaster; the daytime bait soaker; the dedicated fly fisherman; or the boat/shore/light tackle/somewhat serious surfcaster like me, the Derby has what you're looking for, even if you never weigh in a fish. The history, the pursuit, the luck, the skill, the heartbreak, the success; in the the end it all results in a truly spectacular experience.

I am heading to the Island on 9/16 for the entire week, and can hardly wait. If you haven't experienced what the Derby has to offer, I highly recommend checking it out. There is no place I'd rather be between September 11, 2011 and October 15, 2011. Plus, I hear they have trucker hats this year.

Check out the Derby website and Facebook page for more info. I'll do my best to post updates, reports, and more while I'm there.


No comments:

Post a Comment