Friday, July 29, 2011

Quick North Shore Mass Fishing Report

I haven't been fishing much do to work and family obligations, but I have been out enough recently to give a short report. There certainly is no lack of bait anywhere from Boston Harbor to the NH border. I've seen mackerel, sand eels, sea herring, adult and peanut bunker, and juvenille herring and spearing. This plethora of bait should be yeilding great fishing, yet I have not been overly satisfied with the outcome of most of my haunts. There are certainly fish to be caught, but with the amount of bait I've seen in some places, I have been surprised that the fishing has not been better. With that being said, however, some anglers have been finding great blitzes, and have even tied into some very large fish.

One lure that seems to shine when there is such a wide variety of bait around is the bucktail jig. On a recent trip to a rocky outcropping on the North Shore I got into some good action with a 3/4 oz Andrus Jetty Caster bucktail. I am a huge fan of the Jetty Casters and recommend them for a variety of scenarios. In this case, the 3/4oz densely tied bucktail with a pork rind allowed me to fish a boulderfield successfully while keeping my presentation near the bottom where the bass where hiding. Unfortunately I lost the only 3/4oz jig I had on me that night due to the sharp craggy bottom. Lesson learned.

Though we have entered the "summer doldrums" there is still some great fishing to be had. With manageable temperatures at night and in the early am, I recommend getting out to your favorite beach or rock pile and trying your luck for some bass and blues. Nothing beats catching some fish and watching the sun rise. Try the river mouths in the area or find some deeper water close to shore. Live eels are a good bet at night, with bucktail jigs and soft plastics close behind. As the sun begins to rise don't be afraid to clip on a spook or popper.

No comments:

Post a Comment